Thursday, March 11, 2010

From the "Inspired Faith" Newsletter

A young woman from our local rescue mission recently spoke about her work with the homeless, and these words touched my heart . . . "One of our goals is to make them laugh, because they have so little to smile about in their world." I was reminded that as Christians, our mission is to be salt and light in the lives of others . . . bringing the light of Christ into their darkness, one smile at a time.

I love the way Paul used a mirror to illustrate how we can be transformed to reflect the image of Christ to the world. "All of us who are Christians . . . reflect like mirrors the glory of the Lord. We are transfigured in ever-increasing splendor into His own image" II Cor. 3:18 (Phillips)

If you’ve ever played with a small mirror in your hand, you know how you can catch the rays of the sun and angle the mirror just right to shine that light wherever you want it to go. The Bible tells us that the Lord holds us in His hand, and the more we reflect His image . . . and His radiance . . . the more He can use us to shine His light in our world.

This is my prayer . . .

A Mirror in God's Hand
by Paula J. Fox © March 2003

I want to be a mirror, Lord . . . A reflection of Your grace
To shine Your light for all to see
In every darkened place

I want to be transfigured Lord, so the image others see
Will be closer to Your likeness
And the light You've given me

I have no light source of my own . . . but when I look at You
The radiance of Your glory
Shines in all I say and do

I could stand to use some polish . . . I've been cracked and broken too
But it's not myself that matters
It's the light that comes from You

Though I have some imperfections, I'm still useful in Your sight
And in Your hand I know
That You will angle me just right

So that when Your face shines on me, it reflects on others too
And as it does, please use me, Lord
To LIGHT my world for You

No comments: